What is it about Friday that brings out the Lazy in me? Is it the same for you? This day more than any other finds me reaching for the Chinese take-out menu, instead of reaching into my cupboards.
In an effort to quiet that part of me, I have been working on making some easy "Better Than Take-out" recipe hacks. This here's my first one.
My "Better Than Take-out Chinese Chicken with Lemon Sauce" has a lot going for it:
- It's baked, not deep fried. This version's lower in fat and calories as a result.
- It's made from ingredients you probably already have in the cupboard. So even if the Chinese take-out craving has struck you unexpectedly, you can probably pull this together.
- It's cheaper than take-out. Take-out and restaurant meals can really do a number on your saving money goals.
Here's the recipe...
Better Than Take-out:
Baked Chinese Chicken with Lemon Sauce
6 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Mix egg in a medium bowl. Add chicken. Turn to coat both sides. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray. Remove chicken from egg mixture and discard egg. Mix flour and cayenne in a large resealable plastic bag. Add 1 chicken piece at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat chicken. Place chicken on cookie sheet. Once all the chicken is breaded, spray the chicken pieces with cooking spray (about 5 seconds or until chicken surface appears moist.)
- Bake for 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. While chicken is baking, prepare the Lemon Sauce.
Ingredients (Lemon Sauce):
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp cold water
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup chicken broth
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Mix cornstarch and cold water. Set aside.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to boil, stir occasionally.
- Add cornstarch mixture and stir about 30 seconds, or until thickened.
- Serve warm, or seal and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Click here for Printable/Tablet Friendly version of the (Better Than Takeout!) Baked Lemon Chicken with Chinese Lemon Sauce recipe:
What's your favourite take-out meal? Have you ever tried to hack the recipe?