Spring is officially here, and while it may not feel like it yet, summer will be right on its heels. We wanted to make something fun to celebrate! Whipped cream and lemon are such wonderful partners. Fresh, sweet, tart - all the things that say Spring to us.
We've made two recipes with these lovely ingredients: one is pretty traditional; the other is brand new to us - we loved them both!
First off, a delicious Lemon Cream Pie from Taste and Tell. Part classic pie and part cheesecake. Need I say more? Our daughter, 12, made this entirely on her own from scratch! We took it to a family Easter dinner and it was loved by all. Of course, it was made better with whipped cream.
We also brought a can of Gay Lea Real Whipped Cream. (It's made with real cream - not some edible oil imposter.) It topped off our Easter holiday dinner very nicely - and may have led to some dinner table hijinks with the spray. What is it about food in a can that brings out the child in everyone?
Today the weather is rainy with snow - one of those spring realities we prefer to skip over. We made a little bit of the sunny side of spring in a glass! An Italian Lemon Cream soda. This is a brand new drink for us and we are so happy to have found it. Most of it can be made ahead and kept cold in the fridge and mixed up when the need for a fun beverage strikes.
"So amazing! I love it!" was the response our kids' friend shared when she had her first taste of this drink. Yeah. We totally agree.
Want the recipe? Keep reading...
Italian Lemon Cream SodaMake ahead: Lemon Simple Syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Juice and peel of 1 large lemon
- Yellow food colouring
- Combine sugar, water with the lemon juice and peel. (We used pieces larger than zest to make it easy to get them out after.)
- Boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove the peel.
- Add a drop of yellow food colour if you want the "lemon colour" to pop more.
- Chill in fridge.
- Club Soda
- Whipped Cream (use the Gay Lea Light Whipped Cream to save 50% of the fat)
- Half-and-half cream
- Combine 1/2 cup of club soda with 3-4 tablespoons of Lemon simple syrup.
- Stir in a tablespoon of cream and top with Gay Lea Real Whipped cream.
- Serve to your impressed friends/kids on a warm, sunny day (or any day when you want to pretend it is a warm, sunny day).
Suggested Garnishes/Variations: Sprig of Mint, Strawberry slices, vodka (for the grown ups of course)...