We write here often about how we value getting kids into the kitchen - and we've shared tips on how to do it without losing your cool. We've given lots of great reasons to put yourself through the hassle: Practice math and reading! Togetherness! Teaching life skills! OK, folks, those are all great reasons. But you know what's really worth all that effort and mess?
In-house Bakers! One day those batter-spilling, egg-shell-adding tots grow up. And, if you're as lucky as we are, you will raise a kid who loves to bake. Best. Case. Scenario. Our daughter, who's now twelve, is a baking dynamo. She adores it. She'd bake every night if we let her.
Now, the drawback, of course, is that she bakes every night.
Our almost-middle-aged metabolisms and paper-thin willpowers don't allow for this much fresh, delicious baking to be constantly available in our home. Let's just say, I've put on a bit of weight since this girl discovered her passion. So I try and point her toward some healthier recipes in among the cakes and cookies. This is one of those recipes.
We've been making these Lemon Zucchini Bars for years, even before we discovered Nordica Smooth cottage cheese. Back in those days, we used yogurt. But adding Smooth cottage cheese in the place of yogurt is a great way to squeeze in a bit more protein - it's got 10g of protein per serving.
You might remember we already shared two of the ways we're enjoying Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese. It's our girl's favourite treat to have in her lunch. I can't say she'd be that excited about just any cottage cheese - this one doesn't have that off-putting lumpy texture - yet has all the benefits of cottage cheese.
Here's the recipe...
1 container Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese Lemon flavour
1/4 cup Oil
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 Tbsp Lemon zest
1 cup Zucchini, shredded
2 tsp Icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Spray a 9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
4. In a small bowl, mix Smooth cottage cheese, oil, lemon peel and lemon juice. Stir well.
5. Combine the two bowls. Stir until just moistened. Stir in zucchini. It will look dry - don't worry - this is how it's supposed to look! Pour batter into pan. Use a spatula to press it down.
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
7. Let cool completely. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Enjoy! We hope you love these bars as much as our family does!
yield: 9 inch square pan
Smooth Lemon Zucchini Bars
prep time: 10 MINScook time: 40 MINStotal time: 50 mins
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 container Nordica Smooth Cottage Cheese Lemon flavour (or 1/2 cup lemon or vanilla yogurt)
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
- 1 cup Zucchini, shredded
- 2 tsp Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a 9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix Smooth cottage cheese, oil, lemon peel and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Combine the two bowls. Stir until just moistened. Stir in zucchini. It will look dry - don't worry - this is how it's supposed to look!
- Pour batter into pan. Use a spatula to press it down.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool completely. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
copyright Robin Hicken
Created using The Recipes Generator
Disclosure:We are part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign and we receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are our own.