We may earn a commission on purchases made after clicking links on this page.
by Robin Hicken
As a former Registered Dietitian I KNOW Families with young kids need recipes like this One Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta! There are a few reasons:
- When kids are young – the parenting time investment is enormous. You have hundreds of things to do and way too little time to do it. This recipe is fast.
- Young kids eat OFTEN. This is normal, healthy behaviour, but man, does it create a lot of dishes. This recipe uses one pot.
- Young kids can be VERY PARTICULAR about what they eat. Understatement of the year, no? If this is the period you’re in now, know this: it’s absolutely normal. This recipe has some common kid-approved elements: chicken, pasta, creaminess.
- You need to be creative in the kitchen to please your choosiest family members. This recipe is adaptable.
- Kid hates the texture of onions? Sub in onion powder for flavour.
- Want to make it a full meal? Add some frozen veggies at the simmer stage. At our house this would be peas – somewhere else it might be diced carrots or broccoli. Et voila! You’ve got all the food groups covered.
- Worry your tiny tummied person isn’t eating enough? This recipe is high in energy. Growing bodies need extra calories – and they need foods that pack a calorie punch because their smaller appetites mean they need more calories per bite than grown-ups. (If you’re watching your calories – don’t fret – enjoy this meal, but partner it with a couple of heaping serving of veggies.)
Easy chicken recipes are one of our specialties – at the bottom of this post we’ve also shared some no-fail chicken favourites you’ll be happy you tried!
Check out this quick, easy, crowd-pleasing recipe here…
Kids’ Fave One Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb chicken breast, diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ Onion, sliced (or 1/2 tsp of onion powder if your kids are onion-phobes)
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ lb (8 oz) pasta (e.g. 2 cups of macaroni noodles)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and roughly shred it.
- Return pan to heat and melt butter. Add onions and cook until golden and fragrant, around 4 minutes.
- Add flour, milk and stock and mix. Add uncooked pasta and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 12 minutes or until pasta is done and the sauce is thick and has reduced. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat add chicken, cream and parmesan cheese and mix until everything is well incorporated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 488mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g
For some more fast and family-friendly meals, check out more of our chicken recipes:
- One Pan Chicken Fajitas in the Oven
- Easy Chicken Finger Recipe
- Kid-Pleasing Baked Jelly Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken